Monday, January 28, 2008

On Fonts--Make or Break Your Design!


I know that some folks cannot afford a designer, or prefer to make their own marketing materials in Microsoft Word or PowerPoint or some other everyday program. That's OK. But, if you are one of these people, let me give you one piece of advice: do not use the following fonts. They're the telltale sign of a non-designer/rookie/newbie/person-with-no-taste. And they won't win you any points with customers either--they may just
lose you a few or scare potential clients away. This is of utmost importance if you are a salon and spa owner. As a business that sells beauty, creativity, fashion, trends and of course, design, you must stray far from many of the fonts that came installed on your computer. The following fonts are the worst that you can use, for they are as cliched as they come:
Now that you've wiped them off your computer's hard drive, here are a few good replacements:

1.
Myriad Pro: I use it as my backup any time a client does not already have a readable font for long chunks of text. Also, all of my personal promotional postcards use Myriad Pro for lists and paragraphs.

2.
Swiss 721: A great modern alternative to Arial, shown here on one of my recent Valentine's Day Promos.




















3.
Feel Script: A Veer exclusive, this font is unique and on top of 2008 trends. I just bought it as a birthday present for myself!















4.
Hellenic Wide: Ooh, I'm in love with this one. Recently used (I think!) by Whole Foods' talented design team in their holiday promotional flyers and banners, this awesome font shows pizazz without even trying. (image from Veer)

5. Bouer Bodoni: Why use Times when you can be chic and classic with this much more clever serif font? Beautiful. (image from Veer)

No comments: