Thursday, April 23, 2009

A reminder about the upcoming Mother's Day

I don't think I'll get around to designing a Mother's Day card this year. I had lots of cute ideas, and even sketched them out, but each time I tried to finish one I'd start sobbing. I probably should have stuck with flowers and hearts instead of drawing mothers and babies...

But I did want to put up this reminder, at the very least: Please, please, please don't forget to celebrate ALL of the mothers in your life this year, not just your own.

Celebrate mothers who lost their babies - whether they lost their baby at six weeks of pregnancy or 41 weeks or at five years. If you are a mother, you know how real that baby is from the moment you find out you're pregnant. You sense that soul living inside you. You feel all the love in the world for that child and would sacrifice your very own life for it. In pregnancy, you spend every waking hour with your child, thinking about them, worrying about their well-being, hoping and dreaming and praying about their future. Every woman who has been pregnant is a mom. Celebrate her!

Celebrate adoptive mothers. Celebrate foster mothers. Celebrate women who acted as a mother to you in your life. Celebrate women who are pregnant. Celebrate godmothers. Celebrate your friends who are mothers.

I used to say all the time that "I'm not a card person." It's not really my "love language" to give gifts or remember holidays or birthdays, and never really felt that it was too important to send cards. But when my baby died in November, and cards flowed in by the hundreds, I realized what a meaningful thing card-giving really was. During that period of shock and deep sadness, going to the mailbox was the one thing I had to look forward to every day - a reason to get out of bed and stop crying. Now I'm a card person, hands down.

So, send cards to all the mothers in your life this Mother's Day. It will mean so much that you thought of them. Or give them corsages to wear to church on Sunday. Or just give them a hug and wish them a very happy Mother's day.

Here are some cute card ideas from Etsy:



















from byvikINK





























from InvitaPaperStudio




















from Earmark

No comments: